The following organizations can provide a large amount of knowledge and information about the quality of water and factors that can impact it:
- The North Carolina Division of Water Resources- The North Carolina Division of Water Resources ensures safe drinking water in compliance with federal requirements, evaluates environmental water quality, and carries out enforcement actions in the event of a violation.
- The Environmental Protection Agency-The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) protects human health and the environment.
- The North Carolina Clean Water Management Trust Fund -The North Carolina Clean Water Management Trust Fund focuses on protecting and restoring the State's land and water resources.
- The American Water Works Association-The American Water Works Association provides water solutions to organizations while assuring the effective management of water.
- The North Carolina Rural Water Association-The North Carolina Rural Water Association helps communities attain their highest standard in drinking water and in wastewater services.