Nashville, N.C. is the oldest of the thirteen Nashvilles in the United States.
When Nash County was created from Edgecombe County in 1777, a county seat was required. The same act which set up Nash County directed Duncan Laman, Nathan Boddie, Matthew Drake, Edward Clerick, and Arthur Arrington to contract with workmen to build a courthouse, a prison, and stocks. Boddie and Drake have streets named after them. The streets border the block the courthouse sits upon today.
Construction for the county’s first courthouse began in 1777. It was completed in 1778 with Nashville being referred to as Nash Court House by Peach Tree Creek in many stories and records. Later it was referred to as Nash Court House. The Town began to be referred to as Nashville shortly before 1780. This name was to honor General Francis Nash who was killed during the Revolutionary War. Nashville became a thriving settlement by 1780 gaining a post office in 1805. The Town of Nashville was officially incorporated as the first Town in Nash County by the General Assembly in 1815.
Nashville’s growth rate has been more than 130% over the last 20 years reaching roughly 5,000. The Census has shown the Town of Nashville as the fastest growing town of Nash County in the 21st Century. Nashville has kept its small town charm while growing. It is our desire to make sure Nashville remains “A Great Place to Live, Work, and Play”. Today the town is a full service government. As the county seat, the town is also host to the county administrative building, courthouse, health department, social services, emergency services, sheriff’s department, senior center, and Nash-Rocky Mount School System administrative offices.